Development Manager, UK
Contract type: Permanent
Deadline for applications: 24 February 2022, however should a high volume of applications be received, we may decide to close the vacancy early. We therefore encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: GBP £30,000 to £40,000
Can you co-design and craft winning human rights’ proposals?
At the Institute for War & Peace Reporting, you’ll be working closely with a programme team (or two) and together will transform great ideas and longstanding expertise into proposals that donors want to fund. To support this we have monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) expertise in the team so there is a continuous loop of lesson-learning to feed into new ideas.
We are a growing team and are looking to grow our impact even more.
Founded in 1991, the Institute for War Peace Reporting is a non-profit human rights organization that works with independent media and civil society to promote positive change in conflict zones. From Ukraine to the Philippines – via the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and Central Asia – we have trained tens of thousands of journalists and civil society activists (including a young girl in Pakistan called Malala!) and built many lasting organisations that remain independent to this day in Afghanistan, the Balkans, Africa and Asia.
Maybe you’re looking for your next big step because you are ambitious and target-oriented as well as a can-doer and a team player. Ideally, you will have worked with European as well as US governments, however a track record of success is the most important criteria.
The Development Manager will proactively develop programme ideas into winnable proposals and progress income from institutional donors and trusts and foundations. Reporting to the Global Development Director, the role requires a self-starter with experience and relevant skills and relationships. You may know a region well or a theme such as gender or inclusion. You will work closely with programme teams developing proposals and new ideas together.
The main responsibilities and duties of this role will be
- To work with programme teams to submit timely proposals in response to calls including proposal development and coordinating the proposal administration process
- Develop new ideas for business development and submit to institutional and/or trusts & foundations as appropriate
- To contribute to the overall strategic development of the team including the MEL and networking functions
- Develop strategies for engaging new prospective donors through research and initiative
- Gather and share information on new potential funding and/or themes and communicate IWPR priorities to donors
- Manage and develop existing relationships in collaboration with IWPR programmes
- To contribute to the intelligence function of IWPR including donor and competitor mapping and programme analysis
To be successful in this role we anticipate that you would have
- At least 3 years of experience working in a similar role
- Significant and demonstrable experience of securing income from institutional donors, trusts and foundations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a remote team
- High quality verbal and written communication, problem-solving, critical thinking and a desire to collaborate with peers
- Proven successful experience in identifying and securing unpublished funding opportunities
- Ability to deliver high-level presentations to donors, clients and internal audiences
IWPR is an equal opportunities employer, committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We encourage applications from suitably qualified candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who can help continue to evolve our culture and contribute to an inclusive environment.
Principals only. No calls please. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.