- We are seeking Contributor Writers who are interested in becoming part of an Eastern European cross-border reporting network.
- We anticipate that the requirement will be from August 2021 to December 2021.
- These are freelance roles. All articles from contributor writers will be commissioned upon submission and approval of pitches (briefs).
IWPR is an independent, non-governmental organisation which gives voice to people at the frontlines of conflict and crisis to help them drive change. We work with independent journalists, media and civil society to promote freedom of expression, give voices to the marginalised communities and build capacity against disinformation and propaganda.
For those interested in writing for IWPR please send your CV and two articles you have written to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the project and the role:
This recruitment is part of the project Amplify, Verify, Engage: Media and Civil Society for Democratisation and Good Governance in Eurasia. The project aims to promote democratic growth, good governance, and cross-border cooperation by strengthening civil society and independent media across Central Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Caucasus.
Our coverage is dedicated to the issues that have the biggest impact on the EP countries. This includes disinformation, political unrest, conflict affected areas, media freedom, healthcare and infrastructure problems, minority rights, gender, and the environment. We also encourage our contributors to submit idea pitches even if they fall outside of the areas that we traditionally cover.
Contributor writers will be employed as freelance reporters in the IWPR Caucasus, Moldova and Belarus programme and write regularly for IWPR Global Voices, as well as other local online publications.
IWPR will train Contributor Writers in IWPR's writing standards and style and offer regular training modules in journalism skills including data journalism, investigative journalism, video production, interview techniques, storytelling etc.
Contributor writers will work independently to prepare materials for IWPR including the collection and verification of all necessary information and original comments. They will work closely with IWPR editors to finalize the materials. This may may include substantial revision and heavy editing.
In order to be successful as a contributor writer on this project you will:
- Be either based in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Georgia, Ukraine or Belarus; or be an expat from one of these countries living elsewhere but able to provide reporting from the ground;
- Have a strong understanding of local dynamics and ongoing processes in the Eastern Partnership (EP) countries and follow current affairs;
- Have a higher education in journalism, social sciences or a relevant field, or be in the final year of university;
- Be interested in learning more and improving your journalistic skills;
- Be committed to the best practices of independent and ethical journalism;
- Be fluent in English, Russian and/or any language of the EP countries;
- Respect others and value diversity;
- Have a high level of responsibility, accountability, integrity and honesty in your work;
- Have a growth mindset and welcome constructive feedback.
- Previous experience in journalism would be an asset but young writers and students are also encouraged to apply;
- Ideally you should be able to travel to different parts of the country for reporting.
IWPR is an equal opportunities employer, committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We encourage applications from suitably qualified candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who can help continue to evolve our culture and contribute to an inclusive environment.
Principals only. No calls please. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.